On popular job sites, search for ‘Software Tester’ as role and you will find jobs count around 8-10 thousand.
Software Testing Course: Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET)
- Blending of Manual and Automation Testing
- Adoption of Agile and DevOps methodology and tools for faster delivery
- Increasing adoption of Open Source tools for test automation
- More focus on User eXperience , performance, Speed and quality of service.
- Shift from QA to Quality Engineering
- Demand for testing of applications developed using SMAC and IoT technologies
- Due to digitization, Automation would take lead
- Software Development Engineer in Test SDET would become key profile
Now just change the search to “Automation Tester” and Voila! List shows 3 times more openings.
Course Overview: Software Testing
The course has 14 different modules focusing on developing specific skill.
Module 1 : Learning C programming
- Create console-based applications using C language.
- Write modular programs by using functions.
- Use preprocessor directives in a program.
- Use pointers to handle integer arrays.
- Use sorting techniques such as Bubble sort, Insertion sort and Selection sort for sorting arrays.
- Use pointers to handle integer arrays, strings, structures and files.
- Dynamically allocate memory to hold data of different types.
- Process data in files using file I/O functions.
Module 2 : Oracle 12C – SQL
- Create tables.
- Use different SQL statements to retrieve and manipulate data.
- Use different types of Built in Functions.
- Handle data from multiple tables.
- Manipulate data from multiple tables using INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE command.
- Define database objects like index, sequence, views and synonyms.
Module 3 : Responsive Web Designing
- Design web pages dynamically and more innovatively.
- Develop websites.
- Create GUI for the applications like Library Management System, Hotel Management System.
Module 4 : S/W Testing (Manual Testing)
- Manual Testing concepts and techniques
- Agile Testing concepts and implementation
- Testing types & Test methods
- Non-functional testing types
- Test execution, defect management and test case management
Module 5 : Quantitative Aptitude
- Understand the concepts and theory of commonly asked topics in Quantitative Aptitude Tests.
- Master short cut methods of solving a given problem.
- Solve maximum questions in shortest amount of time.
Module 6 : Object-oriented Programming using Java
- Create object-oriented programs using Java programming language.
- Create Java classes by extending existing Java classes.
- Use interfaces in Java application.
- Access internal properties of a class using reflection.
- Apply Exception Handling mechanism in Java application.
Module 7 : Agile Testing Case Study
- Understand Agile Framework and team structure
- Read SRS and understand application functionalities and user stories
- Identify scenarios & develop Test cases based on the same
- Execution of test cases & Defect reporting
- Post mortem review, BurnDown Chart
Module 8 : Test Link
- To create a Test Project
- Privileges associated with various users
- Creation of Test plans & Builds
- Writing Test cases in Test Link & Execution & analysing execution reports
Module 9 : Bugzilla
- Create an account in Bugzilla
- File a bug
- Searching defects
- Defect life cycle, communication between development team & testing team
Module 10 : Test automation using Selenium WebDriver
- Create scripts using Record and Playback feature of Selenium
- How selenium identifies an Object
- Apply Checkpoints
- Enhance your test scripts
- Use WebDriver for automation
- Use TestNG Framework
Module 11 : ISTQB Preparation
- Use and apply ISTQB specific terminologies and techniques
- List and explain test design techniques, test lifecycle
- List and explain test management lifecycle including risk analysis
- Describe different types of tools used in testing
Module 12: Real-Time Project
- Understanding documentation of system under test
- Creation of test scenarios, test cases and their execution
- Defect Management and Reporting
- Creating automation Scripts
- Execution and debugging of automation scripts
Module 13: Employability Lab +
- Multiple Evaluations and performance Tracking
- Personal coaching and mentoring
- Interview preparation
- Mock interviews and Practice Tests
- Personality Development and Grooming
Software Testing Certifications
There are many international certifications available in software testing. The leading certifications are of two types: software testing process Certifications (vendor agnostic) and Automation tool Certifications(Vendor specific).
In this certification there are various levels starting from foundation to expert. The Foundation Level is first step towards becoming International Software Testing Qualifications Board (ISTQB®) Certified Tester. This certification is relevant across various practices, even for Waterfall or Agile.
ISTQB® Foundation Level qualification is about demonstrating practical knowledge about software testing concepts. It is also useful for higher level mangers for basic understanding of software testing discipline.